The Jane Young House was built in 1873 for Kendall and Jane Young. Young had an adventurous life as a soldier, seaman, fisherman, and merchant who made a fortune in the gold fields of California during the Gold Rush. He came to Webster City in 1859 to run “The Old Reliable Store”, establish and serve as president of the First National Bank and acquire farmland. He married Jane Underdown in 1858. He left his estate to the city to build a proper library.
It was in the kitchen of this home in 1888 that young Teressa Treat asked Young, her neighbor, to donate to a fund to build a library. He turned her down, saying the group would never raise enough money to build a suitable library. The city was therefore quite surprised in 1896 when Young left his estate to the city for the express purpose of building a library. The main floor housed a temporary library. The house was relocated to make room for the beautiful library and moved again for the expansion.
The restored historical home has been used by the Webster City Women’s Club for its meeting and activities since 1923.
Tours are available of the house that Young built for his wife and the “upstairs downstairs” story is revealed by costumed docents in the roles of the lady of the house, Jane Young, and their live-in housekeeper, Susan Dougherty.
The handicap accessible home features a large main floor meeting room features seating for up to 49 and is a perfect venue for meetings, showers, receptions, reunions and similar activities. The second story is currently being restored to create an exhibit space for the club’s collection of vintage clothing and hats. The exhibit is due to be completed late 2018.
The Webster City Women’s Club meets the second Monday of the month from September – May.